Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The best of the Boeremark

Salaam Alaikum :)
I'm back home, just for a few days though then we go back to start the new semester. Exams are over, Alhamdulillah but waiting for results seem just as stressful. Aaaaaarrrrrggggghhhh! I don't want to think about this. *blocks exams out of mind*
It's awesome to be back home (for some reason I was really really missing home this term) and have free fast internet connection. My sister has dubbed be "Giga-Bhen" coz when I'm around, there always is a need to top-up the internet gigs :) I noticed I have a few more followers = JazakAllah for following =)
So I found this post in my drafts collection, it's already about six months old, but anyways...
oh, ya, the photo's are rather clumsy but then I am a shy photographer


For the non-South Africans, "The Boeremark" refers to a Saturday "Farmer's Market" where you can find... uhmmmm...almost anything. From freshly made braai (all haraam btw), to antiques, clothes, 2nd hand stuff, fruit & veggies and even puppies! You'd get it all! Its predominantly Afrikaaner and starts about 6a.m. We generally frequent the Boeremark, when it's exam time -  the only thing that has me ready @ 7:30a.m. on a Saturday morning. I suck at describing scenes so I'll leave it to some of these random pictures of the Boeremark.








The most amazing sight though, is when I pass a particular stall that sells metal items. No, its not the metal thats amazing - rather it's the Muslim man (of African origin) that makes the best use of his time. Totally ignoring the hustle-bustle around him- he just calmly recites Qur'an. (I couldn't take a photo of this much too sacred sight) A scene like this is most appreciated in Bloemfontein (where the mere spotting of another Muslim is actually exciting!).It almost makes me uncomfortable, shouldn't I be doing something more worthwhile than walking around at the Boeremark? Even my friend noticed him one day - and commented on how strange that was-"how could he be ignoring the music and reading your bible?" she wanted to know. Inspiring indeed.

1 comment:

SS said...

Respect. The ultimate in Dawah opportunity